admin utils, Security Updates -- was: Re: A Bunch of Questions)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, L. C. Robinson wrote:

About security, you wrote ...
> This issue is often overlooked: it was mentioned in the recent security
> thread on this list, but only in passing.  You will need an
> automated tool to keep up with this: most of the professionals
> can't (and usually don't) keep up without such tools.

The Redhat up2date script can do a nice job of this. It can be used for
only certain, selected packages, or for any and all installed packages. It
can be automated, or run by hand.

I could wish that the web pages you must use to sign up for up2date were a
bit easier to understand and follow, but they're quite usable with lynx
and other char based browsers. Once registered, you can run up2date from
the command line. I usually do it with the -nox --nosig switches to keep
things accessible.

PS: I agree whole-heartedly about the new Redhat manuals. I have looked at
both the Installation manual and the Getting Started manual. There's good,
clear writing there, and it includes keyboard as well as mouse based
instructions. Very nice.

				Janina