admin utils, fetchmail, upgrades, and security (was: Re: A Bunch ofQuestions)

First of all, if you reply to this thread, please fork the
subject line... <grin>

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Brent Harding wrote:

> The one thing rh does do is offer to fix up the permissions
> when you name change, move the home directory, I believe.

If you are talking about using usermod only to change a user
name, then no, it does not offer to fix up permissions or
ownership, for the simple reason that it is not necessary, nor is
it necessary to move (ie, rename) the home directory (but with
the right options it can do that last, and a bunch of other
things).  Also, usermod is not Red Hat specific.

There seems to be some confusion about how these things work,
which has led to some unnecessarily complicated instructions
about how to do it.  The adduser command should not be necessary
at all when merely changing a username: usermod will suffice, all
by itself, with NO other commands.  In particular, usermod is
smart enough to change the name of the users mailbox when using
the -l option, though this behavior is not documented in the man
page.  The permissions and ownership (UID,GID _numbers_) can and
should remain the same.

Perhaps a quote from the shadow password HOWTO, included in the
same utility package, will clarify things:

   The /etc/passwd file also contains information like user ID's
   and group ID's that are used by many system programs.
   Therefore, the /etc/passwd file must remain world readable.
   If you were to change the /etc/passwd file so that nobody can
   read it, the first thing that you would notice is that the ls -l
   command now displays user ID's instead of names!

Lest there be some misunderstanding, due to ambiguity, as there
was before, let me point out that the author is refering to
ownership names, not the filenames.

More clarification in the longish next section.  Users who
understand how this stuff works, and haven't been confused by the
misinformation or misunderstanding in the previous posts, can
skip to the word "shifting", (in pine, start the search entry
with the "w" key), where I answer other related posts about new
admin utilities, upgrades, fetchmail, and security, that have
been spawned by this thread.

> At 12:37 PM 12/13/01 -0800, you wrote:

> >> On the contrary.  The filesystem does not store user names in the
> >> directory structure.  Do "ls -ln" on your home dir, to see what
> >> there really is.  Now do "id", to see what your id numbers are.
> >> So when you change a username, it just changes the appropriate
> >> mapping table (/etc/passwd), which file utilities like "ls" use.
> >> Now, if you want to change user id numbers -- that can get hairy;
> >> but there are automated ways to do that too.  And take my word
> >> for it, that IS standard Unixen behavior.

> >File names are stored in the directory structure. One file
> >keeps names of files in a directory. Where else do you think
> >they reside? Hard drive brackets? ;-)  In Unix everything is
> >treated as "files"  including hardware devices.

Perhaps I overlooked some ambiguity in my explanation (maybe I
was more tired than I thought).  My apologies. The reference I
made to user names was to ownership, not filenames, which should
have been obvious by the context (what do you think the -n option
to ls does)?  Excessively rude replies can be embarrassing!
You are, of course, quite right about filenames: I never said
otherwise.

> >Changing user ID numbers is trivial, one command line.

Maybe to a power user, who knows how to pick just the right
command or utility, in just the right situation.  But that
command might have to change the ownership id numbers on perhaps
hundreds of files scattered all over the filesystem.  Remember,
we are trying to tutor some relatively new users.

> >You need to rename the mailbox file manualy otherwise it won't
> >belong to the right owner as far as MTA is concerned. As far
> >as I know, tools that change the login name won't touch other
> >things like mailboxes which is good.

But, as we have seen, usermod is smart enough to rename it for
you.  Make a dummy user account and try it.

For newbies:

Remember to remove or disable the dummy account afterward, for
security, -- don't be afraid to experiment, it's a great way to
learn.  Try removing only the passwd entry at first, (use vipw,
not a raw editor, and make a backup copy of the passwd file
first), then list the now orphaned user directory with "ls -l",
and see what happens to the owner and group fields: you'll
understand things a lot better if you actually see it.  Now list
the mail spool directory (/usr/spool/mail), and observe the same
thing (you should be able to spot a difference, too).

> >If you change name only in the passwd file then yes, you do
> >not need to change the ownership of the home directory.

So apparently, you do understand the filesystem structure,
relative to permissions and ownership.  Do you see how your

> >However, you were talking about adduser command before usermod
> >which would create a new user with different UID.

I see now that you must have been thinking I was advocating using
usermod after things were messed up by an unnecessary adduser
command.  I was, in fact, trying to point out a utility that
could simplify the whole problem, not fix the previous "error"
with adduser.  The easiest way to fix a bogus new account that is
in the way of a rename is to just rename it (with usermod), or
use userdel.  Good practice to do both, for a new admin.  Anyway,
the original poster got some good experience doing things
manually, and can appreciate the better tools.

*** shifting subject focus:

> >In any case you'll run into some issues if files in home
> >diretory have been customized for a particular user based on
> >the login name and you change the name so some handwork will
> >be needed. X windows managers setup is one of them.

Do you mean, for instance, if you have in .fetchmailrc:

server mailhost.myisp.com proto pop3 username director there is jondo here password passxxxxx

that you might need to change your local user name in there, too?
A good reminder.

<snip>

> >> BTW, I was reading the new Red Hat manuals about the new
> >> sysadmin utilities last night, and I was impressed.  They
> >> have some very readable tutorials, much of which would apply
> >> to any distribution, particularly the text mode utilities...

And to reply to a different post, asking about these: the best
way to find out about them is to download the new RH7.2 manuals
and look over the table of contents, then read the sections that
interest you.  Or read them on the web, if you prefer.  If you've
already upgraded to RH7.2, you may have already installed them on
your hard disk, or have them on the documentation CD.  And you
can probably download and upgrade or add just the packages you
want.  If the binary versions won't install because of different
library versions, you can probably just do:
rpm --rebuild package.src.rpm
on corresponding source rpm packages, to make a usable binary rpm.

If you are new to Linux, you may not know that it is not
necessary to keep up with the latest releases of your
distribution, on a constant upgrade treadmill, like in the
proprietary OS world.  In fact, it can be rather
counterproductive to do so, depending on your needs.  In the
proprietary M$ world, this forced upgrade cycle has pretty much
destroyed the productivity gains on corporate investment in new
computers and software, according to studies and experience.

But it is critical that you keep up with security patches for the
version that you do use.  Failure to do so is, by far, the most
serious security problem on the internet, regardless of what OS
you use.  For instance, security researchers in the Honeynet
project have found that a pristine install (no security patches
or anything) of Red Hat 6.2 lasts, on average, only 72 hours,
before being cracked into.  M$ stuff, less than a day.  This
issue is often overlooked: it was mentioned in the recent security
thread on this list, but only in passing.  You will need an
automated tool to keep up with this: most of the professionals
can't (and usually don't) keep up without such tools.

<snip>

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html