all linux systems.

Charles,

If telnet is enabled on a Linux system, then a user can telnet to it and
log in if they have a valid user-id and password.  It would be equivalent
to the login procedure you get when logging into your shell account.

It is generally better to use ssh rather than telnet since ssh, unlike
telnet, does not send your password in clear text over the internet, so a
cracker on a network somewhere between you and your destination cannot
easily "sniff" your password.

As far as controlling access goes, all files and directories have read,
write, and execute permissions.  Each file or directory is owned by a user
and group (a group may contain one or more users) and has permissions
stored for its user, group, and the rest of the world.

--Michael Gorse / ICQ:22583968 / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org