OCR In Linux

Is there any cheap reading edges around that work good? Or are they even
being made any more? I know computers have come a long way towards
integrating such functions in, but I like the idea of dedicated machines,
as they're smaller, and usually do their function real well as that's all
they must do. Figured $5000 is pretty expensive, and maybe facing the
possibility of only having my laptop to use means no numpad, and the need
to add it on and take more space, where the dedicated all-in-one device
could fit away some where and I could get it out and plug it in when I need
it.