Getting dos hard drive to boot from lilo

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Gil Andre wrote:

> This is a limitation of DOS/Windows systems: they can only be
> booted from the first hard disk of your machine (/dev/hda_).

But you will observe that she used some lilo trickery to make
MS-DOS think it was booting from the first drive, by logically
swapping the drives.  I have used this scheme successfully for
years, on my own machine (till the drive went flaky -- haven't
even missed it -- got to where I hated the frustrations that toy
OS put me through, and almost never booted it anyway).

> These operating systems simply assume they are the first, only
> and/or most important operating systems on your hard disk and
> will simply refuse to boot from any other drive.

Annoying, isn't it.  But she will be able to fool the stupid M$
stuff, when she gets the rest of her config right.

> I think the only way out of your problem would be to install
> move the Linux hard disk in another position, since Linux

But, you see, she already knows about another way out.

<rest snipped>

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html