Hello!

I know, the M stuff needs a serial key, since I have no scanner sighted
assistance is the cheapest, maybe not easy to find, option. It's the one
thing I really hate to use for computer related things, but I installed
redhat totally with speech, be cool to try by serial console once, I may
have to with my laptop unless it's easy to modify a CD image to add in
speakup, as I'd rather not download it on a modem since my isp disconnects
enough at night to make it unreliable.
At 12:12 PM 12/3/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Correction, please. Anything you need to read about before doing will take
>longer. It's patently illogical to suggest, therefore, that the need to
>learn about something new, ipso facto redners the new more troublesome in
>some way or another.
>
>To bring this back to the issue at hand, installing, I think you'll find
>that linux with assistive technology can be installed just as fast, if not
>faster, once you know what you're doing. And, you'll also find that it can
>be installed by a blind user (or by a deaf-blind user) without sighted
>assistance--unlike that M$ OS.
>
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, John G. Heim (26
>2-9887) wrote:
>
>> My opinion is that Linux is a much better operating system than Windows
but
>> it takes a lot more effort to get it working than Windows. You can install
>> Windows and JAWS, accept all the defaults, and be up and running in about
>> an hour. That is not going to be the case with Linux. With Linux, you
>> pretty much have to read the instructions. And even if you do, there may
be
>> things about your installation that need some tweeking to work.
>>
>> If you take the time to learn Linux, you'll find that it's much more
>> powerful than even Windows 2000. But you may not need the extra features
of
>> Linux. Things like dialing into the internet, using a word processor,
>> balancing your checkbook are probably easier in Windows than in Linux. But
>> linux makes a much better file server or web server than Windows.
>>
>> Another thing to consider is that if you learn how to use Linux you may be
>> able to help other blind people in your country use Linux. Linux and
>> emacspeak are free. Windows & JAWS cost hundreds of dollars. This may not
>> apply to you since you already have JAWS but you may be able to help other
>> blind people in your area get a speech enabled computer for practically
>> nothing with Linux.
>>

>> At 11:30 AM 12/2/01 +0100, you wrote:
>> >Hi Saqib,
>> >I'm delighted of the fact that you and few other members of the list
>> >answered me practically at once.
>> >Thank you for that!
>> >Now questions:
>> >You wrote:
>> >1.  Do you only use a Braille display, or do you use speech also?  If so,
>> >which speech synthesiser do you have?

JAWS