Rescue/Boot Floppies, Internet Access

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Karl Dahlke wrote:
 > This brings up my speech adapter, and enough tools to view and modify
 > dos, windows, and Linux files.
Hey, how do you know when to insert disk2?

 > I can run ftp, telnet, rlogin, and lynx.
 > It's crude, but I can even use telnet to read and send mail,
 > using the pop3 and smtp protocols.
Shees nerd, I'd advise you include the texts of the relevant rfc-documents
on disk3 as well :)

 > 3. You need a 3com, ne2000, or tulip compatible ethernet card.
I hope you are using compressed images. Besides there are a lot of 3com
modules.

 > Now here's the interesting thing.
 > If a newby can get his computer up using these three floppies,
 > and if the internet connection actually works,
 > and if he issues the proper command,
 > I can log into his box and help him fix the problem,
 > or get Jupiter running, or whatever he is trying to do.
NICE!

 > This isn't a security risk.
 > He has to type a special command,
 > which lets me in once, and only once,
 > and nobody gets in after that, unless he types the command again.
 > I jusst tested it out on my wife's machine.
 > I logged in and had access to the entire machine.
And what if the person that logged in types that command himself before
logging off?
Besides using rlogin is always a security-risk (a program like hunt can spy
or even ttakeover the link).

 > You couldn't fit a hello world program from Redhat 7.0 or above
 > on one floppy,
 > because the shared libraries themselves are already larger than 4 meg,
 > and when compressed, they just don't fit on a floppy.
Look at teh debian-install disks, they don't use lilo but some other nice
tool which actually runs from a dos-floppy :)

 > Or - you might try to link your adapter statically,
 > so it wouldn't draw upon the shared libraries, but this might still create
 > a surprisingly large executable.
brltty fits on nicely. Static-linking is the only solution for a
floppy-system.

 > Worse still, I have found some programs that don't seem to need a
 > shared library until they are running.
 > ldd doesn't give you a clue.
 > And the program even starts up and seems to work,
 > until it needs one of these libraries,
 > then it better be there, or it just doesn't run properly.
use the lsof command, it let's you see exactly what is opend by which
program, even special devices.

 > I'm afraid a statically linked program might have the same problem.
 > I just don't know.
imho that is not the case. That's why it's called STATIC.

 > The best way is to rebuild any desired programs in the
 > same environment that built your rescue floppies,
 > whatever that may be.
If you have one full disk for the kernel, why nto compile nearly every
network-device into it.
The Kernel will use the right one.

slainte mhaith (good health), slainte (cheers)
Uisce Beatha (water of live/health)
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@students.cs.uu.nl
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/
Utrecht University              irc: see webpage for details
Believe in yourself, know what you want, and make it happen!