Viavoice and alsa

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Jos Lemmens <jos@jlemmens.nl> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> > There seems to be an OSS compatibility problem with the alsa 5.8 drivers
> > for soundBlaster live.  I'm running Slackware 7.1 under the 2.2.16 kernel.
> >
> > This cause a curious problem with viavoice where there was a short burst
> > of speech and then silence.
> >
> I have the same problem. I run Slackware 7.1 and the 2.4.3 kernel.
> When I use Alsa, viavoice stops after a few moments and the program
> is still in memory. I see it in the ps list.
> I want to use Alsa, because the Alsa driver offers sequencer for the
> midi port on the SBLive.
I had similar problems with other applications and they have now been fixed;
those fixes should be there in the next beta release of alsa, or if you can't
wait just retrieve the latest cvs export. I hope it will fix your problems.
By the way, has anybody ever gotten viavoice to work under Debian unstable?