Re: Lilo On The SErial Port

[quoted lines by Tom Goulet on January 19, 2000, at 22:46]

>What that does it tell 'lilo' that when your system boots, it's
>going to tell the kernel that serial=1,9600.

No, that's not what it does. It tells LILO to write its boot prompt to the
specified serial port, and to read the user's response to that prompt from that
serial port. N.B.: The boot prompt is also still written to the console, and
the response is also still read from the console.

If you have compiled serial console support into the kernel, and if you wish to
tell the kernel which serial port to use for the system console, then specify
the console= kernel boot option. You can do this via the "append" LILO
directive. For example, you can add a line like:

    append='console=ttyS0,9600n8'

to the appropriate "image" section of "/etc/lilo.conf".

For complete details on serial console support, read the file
"/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt".

--
Dave Mielke           | 856 Grenon Avenue | I believe that the Bible is the
EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2B 6G3   | if you're concerned about Hell.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux for the Blind]     [Fedora]     [Kernel List]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch List]     [Red Hat Development]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Big List of Linux Books]