Re: Development priorities (was Re: forwarded message from Jason White)

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Jason White wrote:

> I shall make this reply as brief as possible:
>
> 1. It is not necessary to learn "an entire system like Emacs" to use the
> terminal emulator.

Not true with out knowing how emacs the terminal buffer is totally
useless because you still need to know how to move around and do
everything you need on the screen and as I have previously said emacspeak
is extreemly lacking when it comes to AI in dealing with terminal
environments.

> 2. There are many applications for which Emacs and Emacspeak together
> provide an excellent solution already; thus there are good reasons why a
> user would wish to learn Emacs.

I never said a user wouldn't want to.  I said a user should not have to .

> 3. As I have argued before, the X Window System is becoming increasingly
> important as an environment for application development and needs urgent
> attention with regard to access solutions.

It doesn't matter I am not going to run xwin to run a postsql server nor
apache  one of my servers do nothing but that and I want to be able to
do everything possible with out having to load emacs or xwin.

> 4. It is possible to access text-mode applications from within X (even
> right from the outset, using xdm to provide the login prompt); thus
> besides cosniderations of memory and cpu usage, there is no reason why one
> should not access text-based applications from within either Emacs or X.
>
> 5. Given limited resources and the present lack of access to X
> applications, combined with the realisation of where Linux development is
> headed (namely toward X as the application environment) the conclusion is
> clear, as I stated before, as to where priorities should lie.
>
> A corolary of this result is that console-based screen readers are low on
> the over-all priorities, which is not to say that some people won't find
> them useful or that they are not advantageous in certain, limited,
> situations.

This is where you are very biosed.  I believe emacspeak is great for what
it does.  I also believe that Speech programs are more than limited as I
ahve said Asap accomplishes all the tasks that you ahve said they can not
accomplish.  True it sometimes takes me a few minutes and maybe even an
hour to get it all set up right but the power of Asap so far has gave me
more access than emacs running over an ethernet.  We are not going to
agree on this I can see because you are not willing to descuss why you
have this terrible bios

Ken /whistler> > > > --
>          To unsubscribe: mail blinux-develop-request@xxxxxxxxxx with
>                        "unsubscribe" as the Subject.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux for the Blind]     [Fedora]     [Kernel List]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch List]     [Red Hat Development]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Big List of Linux Books]