Re: rtw88, rtw89 -- options for bringing a couple rtw standalone GitHub repos into backports.git

> I am going to get started now.

Johannes,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Busy at work, etc. then wanted to
make sure Larry could run the release package successfully.

I was able to get a new backports package built and running on my
machine over the weekend.

First, I did a `./gentree.py` on Hauke's v5.15.92 release with it's
corrresponding branch in stable with success and installed backports on
my hardware running v5.10.0. The new driver code was loaded and worked
as intended with a couple different usb dongles I have.

Second, as a test I built a package release for v5.16.20 because initial
rtw89 commit appears here:

  $ pwd
  /home/bkz/linux-stable

  $ git symbolic-ref --short HEAD && git rev-parse --short HEAD
  master
  ffc253263a13

  $ git describe --contains e3ec7017f6a20d12ddd9fe23d345ebb7b8c104dd
  v5.16-rc1~159^2~121^2~39

I was able to cut that release package that works for the rtw89 driver
by adjust existing patch file diff hunks to apply properly and adding a
new header that came in to net.

Preliminary test was successful:

  $ ./wi_stat.sh

  Kernel Version:
  5.10.0-26-amd64 debian

  Wireless Driver:
  device: wlp2s0
  driver: rtw89_pci

  Driver Stats:
  rx_bytes   : 359634613
  rx_packets : 271727
  tx_bytes   : 8117768
  tx_packets : 46573

My last question re: rtw89, since I just cut a release that "added it"
even though I did not do anything driver specific since the in-tree subsystem
and realtek/ dir do actual config, is this:

What other testing do you recommend for a "new driver" besides testing
"builds" as mentioned in docs [1] here in 'Adding new driver'?

It goes over supporting latest minor versions and says, "you should install
all supported kernel with the script in devel/get-compat-kernels and
then run devel/ckmake to build backports against every kernel version."

[1] https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Documentation/backports/hacking

I am working on test/automation for our new backports workflow so any
insight you have would be helpful.

Again, thank you for your help. Larry and I appreciate it.

I will end this thread after your reply and come back to this list with
patches, general questions, and coordinating on helping cut new releases
for https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Releases or updating
docs on the wiki.

Honestly, we could probably use some key points from this thread to make
some newbie friendly docs considering how confused I was at first, haha!

I could probably draw a nice diagram based on your explanations.

Anyway, thanks again!

Brian Witte