Re: Proposed Backports Project Logo - Old Tux on Hoverboard

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 12:25 -0400, Chris Feyerchak wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2017 12:53 AM, "Luca Coelho" <luca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 22:31 +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 09:20:32AM -0400, Chris Feyerchak wrote:
> > > Hi Luis,
> > >
> > > I've heard positive feedback and no negative feedback on the proposed new logo.
> > >
> > > Could you go ahead and configure the wiki to use the new logo, please?
> > >  My account doesn't have the necessary permissions.  The 135x135 pixel
> > > raster is the size recommended in the MediaWiki documentation.
> >
> > Great, do you have a vector graphics representation of the logo? That
> > would enable us to scale it at any time for anything.
>
> I like the concept of ageing Tux on something new like a hoverboard, but
> the logo itself needs some work, IMHO.  I can't really understand the
> logo unless I chant to myself "Old Tux on Hoverboard... Old Tux on
> Hoverboard...".
>
> --
> Luca.
>
> Honestly, I'm not picky about what we use as a new logo.
>
> The problem is that one day while I had the Backports wiki up, a
> librarian happened to look over my shoulder and asked me something to
> the effect of "Why is there a close-up of a penguin touching himself
> on your screen?" Try as I might, I could not convince her that the
> current Backports logo was not a high school-esque joke.

Wow, I had actually never seen it like that! To me it has always looked
as been quickly drawn by a nerd that doesn't have any sense of design
(sorry Luis! :P)

> I'm not interested in having that conversation again.

I see your point.  Now that you mentioned it, I can't see it in any
other light. Heh.

> I've previously sent links to this wiki to professional contacts,
> including the director of engineering at a silicon manufacturer whom I
> was trying to convince to maintain the backports of their drivers. I'm
> uncertain whether they saw in the wiki what that librarian did, but
> they didn't hop on the Backports bandwagon.

Well, yeah, I agree that it looks amateur, but it would be silly if
someone would reject a project just because of the look of a logo.

> In the spirit of being constructive, I've already provided an image
> that can immediately be substituted for the wiki's logo. Once with the
> current wiki logo is addressed, and if there is sufficient interest in
> using Old Tux on a Hoverboard more broadly, then I'll see what I can
> do about vectorizing it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound negative.  As I said, I like the idea, but
 it's hard to see it in the current proposal.  Or maybe it's just me,
because I didn't see Tux "touching himself" either in the current one.

> I'm also fine with trading the present logo for some other logo
> (provided it does not bring the same concerns) or no logo at all.

Again, I like the concept as is, but surely we should be able to make it
look more modern.

--
Cheers,
Luca.