Re: Adding the BT driver

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:21:36AM +0200, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 7/13/2017 5:07 AM, AceLan Kao wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working on adding BT driver back to linux backport driver, and got
> > some questions.
>
> I suppose it means you also want to maintain BT support in backports
> project?

Which has me thinking perhaps the policy we need is a MAINTAINERS.backport file
or something?

> > 1. Do we still do building the backport driver against all the
> > supported kernels? I didn't see those reports in git log recently, so
> > I'm wondering while backporting BT driver, can I skip some old
> > kernels' support.
>
> Well. You could limit the earliest kernel by adding a dependency in the
> dependencies file.
>
> > 2. Is there a script that can help me to build the backport driver
> > against certain kernels?
>
> Not really. You just run make from the backports package and provide
> KLIB_BUILD=... on the command line referring to the target kernel headers.

There is documentation:

https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Documentation/backports/hacking#Adding_new_driver

I updated it recently as I demo'd adding yet-another new subsystem (not
upstream, nor patches posted).

  Luis