Re: newbie questions

On Mon, 2015-08-31 at 08:21 -0500, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> > The *to* version is never relevant. A given backport will compile
> > against many different *to* versions.
>
> I guess I completely missed the concept. I was thinking that the
> gentree.py command would only port and adjust the delta between linux
> -next and the version I wanted. Looks like the backport is really an
> add-on that will apply to multiple versions. Not sure I understand
> how successive changes in the tree are handled if there is a single
> backport.

Well, there's a single *from* version, as you say that was currently
"next-20150731" (or that was the one you used). The backport git
repository is maintained in lockstep with the *from* version (although
there's usually quite a bit of wiggle room)

The result, the output of backports, will/should compile against any
kernel starting from the earliest supported, all the way up to the
*from* version, right now I think that's 3.0 until 4.1 or so.

johannes