Re: newbie questions

Thanks for the quick answers Johannes, more below.

On 08/31/2015 02:43 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> question1: is there a way the list of packages can be selected? I'd
>> like to use the backports infrastructure only for what I care about
>> (media, usb, audio). It'd be really nice if I could limit the updates
>> to the parts I care about (media, usb, sound) and remove all the
>> networking part I don't really have a use for. It's fine if the
>> releases include everything, I only want to limit the changes in my
>> own workspace.
>
> In general, this is possible. Check out the copy-list file. You can
> edit this, and it'll copy only what's listed there.

ok. I was thinking of a more automated way that doesn't require me to maintain a branch but that'll do for now.

> In order to add sound though, you'll also have to at least change
> backport/Makefile.kernel and backport/Kconfig.sources to include the
> sound directory in the kconfig and build.

yes that part works fine. I still have to figure out how Kconfig works in the backports, I didn't get the explanations.

> The existing semantic patches will be applied to it automatically, but
> it seems fairly unlikely that it'll all compile cleanly without more
> effort.

indeed.

>> question2: I am not sure I understand how the code is generated.
>> Nothing seems to work/compile even without my changes... If I use
>> linux-next with the next-20150731 tag and the latest backport code, I
>> get:
>>
>> ~/backports$ ./gentree.py --clean --verbose --gitdebug --git-revision
>>   v4.1.6  ../linux-next ../linux-next-backport
>
> You're not using next-20150731 tag? You're using v4.1.6 tag. If you
> checked out linux-next in ../linux-next, then you can simply remove the
> "--git-revision ..." argument and make the script a bit faster even.

humm... What I wanted is backport next-20150731 to v4.1.6. linux-next is checked out to next-20150731.
which of the two does git-revision refer two? the linux-next origin or the destination?