Re: Query Regarding Licensing for AGL Image Packaged as a VM Inside a Target Image

Hello Senthil,
First of all I am not a lawyer and we cannot provide much guidance here. Open source license compliance depends on a lot of technical, legal, and business factors that no one on this mail list is in a position to answer.  For one thing your question is very general, but it really requires us to know specifically how you are building the code and which licenses you are considering combining. Even if we know that there is the business decision to be made as to how the proprietary code in question is used and whether or not you are seeking to keep that internal. Finally, after knowing all of that you can make a decision that is right for your situation, including whatever risks that your company may decide are important or unimportant.

I can point to some resources that may be helpful, but I would check with your open source compliance team to see how they handle your specific situation.

There is a free Linux Foundation training class.
https://training.linuxfoundation.org/training/open-source-licensing-basics-for-software-developers/

A blog post from VMWare that also has links to other resources.
https://blogs.vmware.com/opensource/2022/04/05/open-source-license-compliance-and-why-it-matters/

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Walt