Ensuring AGL minimises its potential use in domestic abuse #agl #automotive

I chair a new working group at the IEEE that is working to create a new international standard for how technologists can ensure their products are designed to, as much as possible, prevent their use in technology-fueled domestic abuse. It is a sad fact that the technology we build is increasingly being used in ways it was not intended by perpetrators.

Now, you might think that this would be limited to things like GPS tracking and social media - and while those are of course key items, there is an equally worrying trend in how "multi-user" home appliances (e.g. smart door bells, smart home assistants) are also being misused in this way. Basically anything that be might set up and controlled by one individual and shared by the rest of the family. This is not about such systems being "Hacked" in the traditional sense - rather such systems have often not been built with a threat model of a  perpetrator of domestic abuse who happens to be the account holder. You may wonder what this has to do with AGL?! Well, it appears to us that this could well fit into this mode - where one account owner wants, for instance, to track where their partners has been, or whether their route was what they said it was, or what social media or web accesses where made while they were in possession of the car. Even whether they charged a mobile phone (and the details of that mobile phone) can, in some cases, give a perpetrator information that can use. It may be beneficial to the AGL community to consider how such scenarios are avoided - e.g. how data is kept private from other drivers of the car, or how the permission to share this might be offered/rescinded on an individual basis - just to throw out two thoughts. I'm not an experts in automotive systems or AGL, so I am sure this community would be able to come up with more examples.

The solutions, unfortunately, to this problem are rarely simple - and have to be carefully balanced by their pros & cons.
That is why we have established this IEEE working group (P2987) to develop a standard that will aid technologists in designing technology that is inherently safer. To stand any chance of succeeding, it is paramount that we have diversity of thought which is why we wondered if there might be AGL members who would  volunteer to join the working group - your input would be invaluable and you don't need to be a member of the IEEE to participate. We meet once a month (virtually), and are currently in information gathering phases ahead of starting to write the standard. It would be great if AGL could be ready to support the standard as soon as it is available.

More information is in the attached call for participants and you can also review the project details, including a link to the PAR at https://standards.ieee.org/project/2987.html.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me here, or by email to Henry Nash (henry.nash@xxxxxxxxxx) - Working Group Chair or Toby Shulruff (tshulruf@xxxxxxx)  - Working Group Vice Chair.

Kind regards,

Henry

_._,_._,_

Links:

View/Reply Online (#9783) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Mute #automotive | Mute #agl

_._,_._,_