Re: [agl-dev-community]Update Qt demo applications

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022, wangq.fnst@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi scott !
>
> Based on QT, I see that you have recently modified several apps. Like
> phone, radio, messaging, and so on. To improve understanding of new App
> FW, I want to actually implement an app like taskmanager. Is this
> application needed?

I purposely chose to not try to update taskmanager, as it is not of a lot
of utility IMO, especially now that weston-terminal can be easily run in
development images to run e.g. top, ps, kill.  If you are still really
interested in doing so, note that replacing the backend from
agl-service-taskmanager would now require chosing a new IPC mechanism
and/or designing a new API, and the direction AGL will take on that front
is still unresolved (see below).

> In addition, after the introduction of the new app framework, it seems
> that the update of flutter based on new app FW has not started yet. I
> mean the connection between app and app FW, which was previously binding
> communication. Will this part of the work be carried out? Where can I
> get the latest news about the progress?

Discussion on a replacement of the API functionality of the app framwork
is still ongoing.  It's probably safe to say that at the moment the main
guideline is to try to reuse pre-existing open source projects as much as
possible.  However, in practice, things with D-Bus APIs are difficult for
web apps, and there are various types of automotive functionality such as
CAN (and other forms of vehicle signalling), radio, etc. that are very
likely going to  need some form of API scheme to enable building an array
of demo applications (Qt, web, Flutter, etc.).  How AGL moves forward on
this is something that will hopefully be discussed in the upcoming
application framework & EG meetings and I'm guessing the workshop in
April.  I would suggest joining the EG calls (there's one on Wednesday
this week), and perhaps also the developer call to get an idea of where
things are going.

Scott