Re: IRC for AGL at #automotive

It's very quiet here on AGL mailing list.

Please let me start an open discussion and propose some ideas related to AGL project (and maybe others as well).

Running an IRC with SSL/TLS authentication seems to be so complex that everybody wants to rely on libera.chat, the same way they used to rely on freenode for any (good) reason for years...

Honestly, I'm very concerned on how libera.chat can live: I hope they are funded by all the companies/foundations/projects who use the bandwidth and servers to read the channels they host! This includes most OSS projects, including LF ones, Freedesktop etc. The same question could be posted for freenode: how do they (used to) live? I didn't find any clear answer to that question. Please advise.

That said, I have two questions (maybe for Walt and other LF people):

Q1: is there a clear statement on what #automotive is? What governance? Who moderates? etc. For me, it's not AGL-specific, but simply related to automotive at large (i.e. projects like Genivi and others can interact without being off-topic). Q2: as a consequence: if I'm previously true, is there any official #agl channel or equivalent dedicated to AGL? If not, I'd suggest to create one and advertise.

I also have some questions and remarks regarding AGL communication tools for the future:

AFAIK, AGL has at least:
* an official participation to #automotive on libera.chat
* a JIRA instance (Atlassian)
* a Confluence instance (Atlassian)
* a Gerrit instance in the past and present then Gitlab.com in the future
* a Wiki (not fully maintained, except for a few pages on releases and meetings minutes)
* a Zoom license for all meetings
* some Github repos, deprecated: https://github.com/automotive-grade-linux/
* some Github repos, used by a single expert group: https://github.com/agl-ic-eg
* a mailing list, run in the past on mailmain IIRC and then externalized on groups.io now * from time to time: a slack channel during AMMs or workshops (again: external, hosted by Slack) * some GSoC students reporting on exotic platforms I can't even remember, but I know I wrote a previous mail on that topic :)

Wah!

What's next? A dedicated Sl*ck channel to talk to AGL developers? A facebo*k page to interact and post releases? A telegr*m account needed to exchange code? Or inst*gr*m for CES? And what about Link*d.in, twitt*r and tikt*k? And why not Micros*ft T*ams and Yamm*r next?

STOP!

To be very pragmatic: I DON't/WON'T follow any of those "channels" to participate to *any* open source project as a developer: opening every morning a bunch of stupid applications based on Electron, each one consuming 1GB of RAM, to get the opportunity to read an interesting message on all those "channels" is really a non-sense. Having notifications by emails is not really better, that's obvious.

This leads to Q3: can anything be done to rationalize communication and gather developers on a single "channel", being accessible by anyone without registering to tier applications and services?

IMO, as a major LF project, AGL should try to lead the way and show some good practices.

Regarding LF IT strategy, I also have some concerns.

I'm wondering what LF technical goals are, regarding the development process: it should be related to control how the source code is pushed, assembled, hosted and how the development processes occurs. Using on-premises infrastructure would be advised for this. As most of the tools I mentioned earlier rely on external companies/services/infrastructures, I'm wondering how the LF mission can be really fulfilled. It's even a shame to see that some good OSS alternatives exist to replace the proprietary solutions chosen by LF (Zoom, JIRA, Slack, Groups.io ...and probably others as well).

I must confess that I'm pessimistic as most LF employees don't even eat their own dogfood: having Apple laptops instead of Linux laptops is just another shame IMO.

So question Q4 for LF IT: why not promoting Linux for desktops/laptops in the real life across all LF projects and make developers experience better by contributing to open source desktop projects like Gnome, Libreoffice and other useful infrastructure tools? Why not using open tools hosted internally first and switch to proprietary and/or external ones only when needed? Why using Google Drive and Zoom when Nextcloud and Jitsi exist? Q4.bis for the fun: what percentage of people working for Apple got a laptop running Windows when hired?

I may be wrong but if the current strategy is continued in 2022, LF IT will just become a small bubble that will pop sooner or later: it will boil down to a SSO/IDP server recording who logged in to external services, just to cooperate on how to better profile users (always respecting the laws and privacy, of course). At the end, that's not what I call "hosting a project" but it's more and more "marketing a project".

These were my $0.0002 (yep, not much, as I don't expect any change). At the end, I'm still the bad guy, you know :)

Keep all safe! Best regards,
----
Stephane Desneux - CTO - IoT.bzh
stephane.desneux@xxxxxxx - www.iot.bzh