Re: [agl-dev-community] Master Thesis: Intentionally vulnerable infotainment system built on AGL #automotive #help

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 11:45:41AM -0700, acsjakub@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Dear AGL Community,
Hi,

> My name is Jakub and I plan to create a intentionally vulnerable
> infotainment system for demonstration purposes as my master's thesis.
> I will be using Raspberry Pi4 as hardware. Let me first point out that
> the vulnerabilities I plan to create and showcase will not be
> AGL-specific. My plan is to take a stable AGL version, develop/modify
To some extent they will be AGL-specific. We make use a framework [1]
that handles application privileges and we use a LSM module [2] to handle
security at a global level.
> a couple of applications to make them vulnerable to the most common
> automotive security threats. These applications should be graphical,
> since the main purpose is demonstration.
Why? There are multiple parts in (infotainment) system, you can leverage
one against the other and escalate, or rather chain-load various
exploits  -- which I believe is common/necessary to bypass mitigations.
If the purpose is to focus on the graphics system/sub-system, you need
to be aware that as opposed to X11, on wayland clients can not gain
access to other client's buffers. Also the demo platform/apps is a bit
more lax/permissive on purpose to allow easier development to happen, or
provide some functionality commonly found on other systems
(for instance, screenshooting, or the allow-all policy in the compositor).

> I have spent past two weeks trying to get familiar with AGL and
> associated technologies, deployed a demo image to RPi4, installed
> standalone SDK and built a helloworld .wgt, which I failed to run so
> far. However, I am struggling to find any documentation on how to
> write, build and deploy graphical applications for AGL, how to make
> them work with the homescreen and so on. There's a big chance I am
Have you've taken a look some of the demo apps? Like
mediaplayer/hvac/dashboard/alexa-viewer? Some of these to not need any
additional 'graphical' interaction aside from what the toolkit (Qt)
provides. I mean, there's nothing special needed to be done. Yes, there
are cases where that might not be the case and you still some additional
support. Would suggest going over [3], if you would like to find out
more about that.

Deployment varies depending on you build, but it is going to be
something related to transferring your widget over the target board
using some kind of a networking tool (scp/nfs/ndb).

Also, have you taken a look at [4]? Some of that information might be
obsolete at this point, but nevertheless the workflow is the same. I
personally haven't used the SDK to create/builds application, rather I
use yocto/OE directly and scp to transfer it (the widget). I'm not
really sure, I guess the SDK should provide at least build tools
(cmake/qmake/meson) support.  Maybe someone else can chime in if they
have more info on that matter. For system-type applications my
impression is that is always better to use yocto/OE, rather than
deploying packages, but that doesn't mean you can script your way
through.

[1] https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/en/master/devguides/reference/iotbzh2016/03-AGL-AppFW-Privileges-Management.pdf
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smack_(software)
[3] https://gerrit.automotivelinux.org/gerrit/gitweb?p=src/agl-compositor.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/README.md;hb=HEAD