Re: [agl-dev-community] Error when Running Hello World Example #help

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 08:04:09AM -0700, dhairya.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
Hi,

You should probably indent your emails.

> I was following the steps on
> https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/en/icefish/devguides/reference/xds/part-1/create-app-build-cmd-line.html
> (
> https://docs.automotivelinux.org/docs/en/icefish/devguides/reference/xds/part-1/create-app-build-cmd-line.html
> ) to build the Hello World Native application, and the
> build succeeded. At the end of the build I saw a message ++ Install
> widget file using in the target : afm-util install
> helloworld-native-application.wgt. I then used scp
> build/helloworld-native-application.wgt root@${YOUR_BOARD_IP}:/tmp to
> copy the file into the VM, and then I used ssh root@${YOUR_BOARD_IP}
> afm-util install /tmp/${APP_NAME}.wgt to install the widget, which
> also succeeded, and I could see the widget on the home screen as well:
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My impression is that helloworld-native-application, is a simple CLI
application which doesn't use any display/graphics functionality. You
see it displayed as a widget as there's a notification sent to the
application that displays widgets.

Have you tried going over the README.md file from that helloworld app?
>From what I see it says how to run it. Note that that the file is a bit
older, and you no longer need to specify the version.

Note that the application will not display anything on the screen, it
just a dummy app that talks to a main daemon in the system. For more
'graphical' kind of apps look at mediaplayer -- which is pretty simple,
or the alexa-viewer is a bit more complex that deals with both the AFM
and graphical side of things. The AGL apps are at:
https://gerrit.automotivelinux.org/gerrit/admin/repos

> The issue is that nothing happens when I click the widget. When I
> display the log from the systemd journal, using ssh
> root@${YOUR_BOARD_IP} journalctl -f , I see an error "qemux86-64
> afm-system-daemon[282]:  ERROR: can't start system unit
> afm-appli-helloworld-native-application--0.1-fe2c958-dirty--main@.service
> for uid 1001" whenever I click the widget. Could anyone help me
> understand why I got the error and how I might be able to fix it to
> run the application.
Seems that we lack some useful debugging messages to hint people what
might be wrong.