[agl-dev-community] Latest graphics developments and trying out the new compositor

Hi everyone,

A couple months ago we were announcing a new display infrastructure and
a new compositor being developed
on top of libweston. Today we're making a step closer into adopting and
integrating the compositor
with the AGL ecosystem.  While there's still a bit of work needed, we
believe this is a good time
for people to start trying it out.

In order to make the transition as seamlessly as possible we've been
busy at converting/adapting the existing demo applications to fit the
existing, private extension architecture. There are still a few rough
edges needed to be ironed out mostly due to hard-coded window position
assumptions, but functionality wise there shouldn't be an issue. We'd
like to encourage testing, bug reporting and obviously we'd like to get
as much feed-back as possible.

System-wide integration of the compositor showed that the windowmanager
functionality is not longer necessary and we've decided to have these
removal changes, for the moment, contained into a topic branch of mine,
before back-merging into master. We still rely on *-homescreen binding
and the library with the same name to launch application(s), but we will
need to access a private extension interface -- implemented by the
compositor (please see the previous announcement email for a larger
explanation about that, and the whole architectural design) to
show/display windows.

# How to try it out/Building it

# fetch sandbox/mvlad/agl-composit topic branch (contains system-wide
modifications -- mostly removal of *windowmanager)
$ repo init -b sandbox/mvlad/agl-compositor -m default.xml -u
https://gerrit.automotivelinux.org/gerrit/AGL/AGL-repo

# run aglsetup with agl-compositor distro feature -- necessary to pull
in additional modifications
$ source meta-agl/scripts/aglsetup.sh -b qemux86-64 agl-devel agl-demo
agl-hmi-framework agl-voiceagent-alexa agl-compositor

where qemux86-64 is the MACHINETYPE, so please adjust accordingly.

# build
$ bitbake agl-demo-platform

While we try to keep this as stable as possible, notice you might
experience some temporary breakage as we're still in a flux state of
development by adding further functionality.

# Various changes since our last the announcement

## Policy API

We've integrated a policy framework into the compositor, and with it, a
default allow-all actions policy engine, by hooking up all major entry
points. The idea behind is to allow people write their own engines (for
instance, a deny-all one, allowing applications based on their
requirements). The framework can handle transitional states, that is
users can inject states into the policy. For instance a common example
here is to display the back-rear camera application when the driver
switches in reverse, or showing the navigation application after a
timeout period upon the car moving forward.

## Increased functionality with an additional private extension

One recurring theme was the ability that applications should
signal/expose other applications surfaces, and for that we've added a
new extension that allows to do
just that. This new extension further tells applications about other
window state changes, or allows to set further roles exposing the
ability for applications to be behave like a pop-up, dialog kind of
window, being independently positioned, or as split kind of a window,
allowing to be displayed side-by-side with another application.

--
Marius Vlad