Re: [agl-dev-community] af-binder and af-main start-up issues and windowmanager/libhomescreen dependencies

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the replies!

I've CC'ed the mailing list as well to engage more audience
if needed, hope you don't mind.

On 1/20/20 3:56 PM, José Bollo wrote:
> On 10/01/2020 17:45, Marius Vlad wrote:
>> Hi Jose,
>>
>> See my replies below. Btw, thanks for your time and patience to answer
>> my questions!

>>> Hi Marius,
>>>
>>> let run another round of snipping
>>>
>>> (snip)

>>> I have no agenda on that topic. When do you expect something? Yesterday?
>>
>> I'm in yesterday mode for over two weeks now. At least that is what I've
>> been informed. Once I have converted
>> mediaplayer/hvac/navigation/launcher and polish a bit current homescreen
>> code I'll start sending patches. Hoping by middle/end of the next week.
>> It will give me some time to test it a bit more.
>>
>> Looked briefly on what you have, and mine looks like C with classes, not
>> CPP, but yeah, but it serves as a PoC for now.
>
> Hi Marius,
>
> Yes C and C++ present a big gap in there management of IOs and also the
> idea was to have the basis in C.

Regarding this part, on launching applications, I've been having some
talks with the guys in the meeting, last week, and they've revealed
something equivalent to what I was trying to achieve, that resides in
agl-service-homescreen. In the homescreen binder there are calls towards
afm-system-daemon using `afb_api_call()`. These are all quite hidden,
such that  'showWindow()' (or something equivalent to that)  calls into
this, if the application is not already started, which is not obvious at
first hand.

Launcher application also seems to use this agl-service-homescreen for
it, as to retrieve the runnables applications array and also calls into
`afb_api_call()`.

On my end, I've used `afb_proto_ws_client_call()` coupled with
`afb_ws_client_connect_api()` and yeah, a few more layers on top to call
those verb commands directly.

It seems that `afb_api_call()` is a bit more generic, but if you don't
me asking what are the differences between these two?

On the same page, I'm currently in the process of modifying
agl-service-homescreen as to be able to expose some of the requests from
agl-shell, and I'm wondering how feasible is it to serialize object
(a.k.a pointers) over JSON.

To give you a better view of the things, if agl-service-homescreen will
be one binding to the agl-shell interface it needs to be able to use
wayland objects (wl_surface/wl_output) and they have be passed from
homescreen to libhomescreen and from there serialized to
agl-service-homescreen. Clients can create on their own wayland objects
and call into the binder service.

Then, agl-service-homescreen has to de-serialize those to wayland type
of data, and use those in the requests for agl-shell interface.

This kind of reflection is obviously not available in C/C++ and only
passing pointers disguised as ints does not seem to do the "trick",
though I haven't really tried (but will soon). Will have a look to
other potential ways of doing this, maybe there is a way to identify
them, but not sure what could be atm.

So my question here can this be achievable in some sort, or not? If so,
are there any examples for doing this?

> (snip)

>>> I should have found it (me or grep)! strange! but ok I'm hand on now.
>>> The term "scope" comes from OAuth2 specifications and translates to
>>> permission in config.xml world. So yes look at how the config.xml file
>>> of homescreen-service requires permissions to start widgets.
>>> https://git.automotivelinux.org/apps/agl-service-homescreen/tree/package/root/config.xml
>>>

>> Roger that.

>>> See above. But I'm not telling that your homescreen-service equivalent
>>> have to start the applications.
>>>
>>> (snip)

>>> Understood, but... So what you call homescreen is the policy manager or
>>> more clearly speaking, the window manager. I'm not sure of how you
>>> intend to separate that from homescreen. IMHO the homescreen should not
>>> be the window manager. I mean that policy should not be in the
>>> homescreen. You need to clarify things because I'm getting lost.
>>
>> IMO the policy manager needs to be a distinct entity where other
>> services (like homescreen, for instance) is able to talk to. It should
>> also be connected to policy database (which seems to be represented by
>> cynagorad).
>>
>> I'm advocating for a distinct entity as I don't think it is a good
>> design to encompass mostly related graphic parts with security
>> management, or security at all for that matter. I understand the need to
>> have this integration and I agree with it, but I also get the feeling
>> you might want to have independent services. And services/daemon talking
>> to each other using some kind of a channel seems the unix way of doing
>> things.
>>
>> In this sense I believe the shell needs to delegate the permission check
>> to the policy manager. The shell only needs to "translate" the resources
>> being accessed to that the policy manager understands.
>
> The wayland architectural pitch
> https://wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html !!! I'm thinking that
> it is very blur: it probably presume that window manager (WM) is a
> client that pilots the compositor and implement a policy engine (PE),
> also probably but not mandatory. In that case, the WM/PE has to identify
> clients. How? Either the client establishes a connection to the WM/PE or
> the compositor helps.

Regarding the policy manager, been having some chats with Daniel, and we
agreed that if there's distinct code-separation we can integrate the
policy manager bit in the compositor (which we should be able to do, so
there's no issue with it).

For now, I resorted to add a  switch in the ini file of the compositor,
such that if enabled, will  by default, switch to newly created
applications. But this can only happen if there's a agl-shell client
binded and has a background set (in other words: homescreen has to be
started/on, or clients have to have a background set).

>> Do note that the authentication part is also in limbo for weston at the
>> moment of speaking. If you think you have some spare hours to go over I
>> invite you to browse:
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/issues/206. Properly
>> identifying clients (authentication) is the most hard thing to do. I'm
>> mostly hoping that smack could be answer here but I have literally
>> knowledge about it.
>
> Is there a missing (important) word in that previous sentence? Like a
> "no"? I'm about to read the thread that seems clearly in our scope of
> interest.

Yeah, apologies. There's a strong "no" there. But I think I've cleared
this as well (in the previous meeting and it seems it relies on the
policy specified by SMACK).

>> And indeed, homescreen being the shell is the windowmanger. We get lost
>> in the terminology due the fact that wayland works differently than X.
>> Another example, or analogy is that gnome-shell is the window manager of
>> gnome, with mutter being the wayland compositor (which is the compositor
>> for gnome3). gnome-shell is the one responsible for launching apps and
>> switching between windows which is exactly what homescreen is at this
>> stage.
>>
>> Due to time constrains I never got the chance to check and dive deeper
>> into windowmanager and previous homescreen version, their purpose and
>> how they were integrated.
>>
>> Here's a short demo of what it looks like now:
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WxRBM_vkxpdDUQ3W4n253vNAuhv59Qlp/view?usp=sharing
>>

>> (homescreen with a background, top panel, bottom panel, all of them
>> being assigned individually from Qt QMLs). A few apps are started by
>> homescreen and switched to using the top panel.
>
> Nice to share that state of work.

>>> Agreed. 2 components are better.

>>> That is a matter of choice. It can also be a wayland interface.
>> Yeah, you could. Not sure if that's a good design though. This kinda
>> forces the compositor to chat with the policy manager to determine if
>> the application is indeed allowed to bind to the interface.
>>
>> Do you have some examples here where this could be useful? A more
>> palpable example, real use-case scenario? I gather that for
>> demo/debugging purpose you might want this, but this can disabled in
>> production entirely.
>>
>> And in production aren't vendors going to use homescreen (by that I also
>> mean the wrappers for starting/switching apps?) directly?
>
> Pure display applications, let say a game, should be easily ported to
> AGL. Using the wayland standard interface mechanism is probably easier
> in that case for tinkering the app to AGL.
>
> Anyway I am not expert of the subject and would be very happy to read
> the discussion on the mailing list of AGL -and possibly participate-.

Yeah, I think I got a few points as well from the previous meet about it
as well: clients have to be able to show windows as they please.

--
Marius Vlad