Virtual Dynamic Sound Card

Hi All!

This is an initial public announcement to the AGL community regarding the work that we at Fiberdyne Systems are currently doing on a new dynamically configurable “virtual” sound card for AGL.

In April at the Karlsruhe F2F, we showcased the beginnings of a dynamic sound card that could be configured at runtime to accept a given number of audio streams, which would provide a standardized interface to play audio. This idea was further developed in June at the Lorient F2F, and we have since started development on the proposed solution. The repository will be available at https://github.com/fiberdyne in the coming weeks.

Presently, our goal is to provide a configurable top-level “virtual” sound card with a simplified integration path that unifies the audio architecture for any given bottom-level sound driver. The new driver will interface directly with the 4A HAL, in place of the current default loopback card (snd-aloop).

We can achieve a level of configuration using sysfs module parameters when the driver has modprobe called. We currently have a basic API which would configure:

  • Number of playback streams

  • Per-stream names

  • Per-stream channel width

However, we would like to take this opportunity to reach out to the AGL community for any additional requests for API that may be suitable for configuration through a sysfs interface.

We will be attending the Face to Face in Santa Clara in September where we can continue the discussion around potential API and use cases.

All feedback is welcome.

Kind Regards,

James O’Shannessy and Mark Farrugia.

James O'Shannessy