Re: Commit 13c164b1a186 - regression for LSMs/SELinux?

On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 11:37 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 10:16 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 4:36 AM Ondrej Mosnacek <
> > omosnace@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> > > I understand that and I'm not proposing the revert as a long-term
> > > fix.
> > > For a long-term solution I propose using kernel_write() and
> > > extending
> > > it to allow the caller to suppress (just) the
> > > security_file_permission() call. Then each caller would have to
> > > decide
> > > whether the LSM check makes sense in that situation or not. It
> > > seems
> > > safer against future mistakes than leaving it up to the caller to
> > > call
> > > security_file_permission() explicitly (I predict that no new user
> > > would even realize that the call might be needed).

> > > The difference is not in security, but in usability. The kernel
> > > communicating with the autofs daemon is an internal detail that
> > > shouldn't need special rules in policy. Even if we want to do any
> > > LSM
> > > checking here, the subject should be kernel_t, not the current
> > > running
> > > process. The process doesn't have any control on whether the
> > > kernel
> > > does the communication and it doesn't control the content of the
> > > communication, so the permission check as it is doesn't make any
> > > sense. People writing the policy should be burdened by low-level
> > > details about how the kernel works internally as little as
> > > possible.

> > > As I said above, I think Stephen's approach is less future-proof.
> > > And
> > > it seems that rw_verify_area() has many other callers, most/all
> > > of
> > > which probably service actual requests from userspace and we'd
> > > need
> > > retain the security_file_permission() call in those cases.
> > >
> > > Let me try to put my proposal into a patch, so we have something
> > > concrete to talk about...
> >
> > Up-thread I thought Linus indicated he didn't really want a flag to
> > disable pemission checking due to potential abuse (and I agree).
> > Historically we have taken one of two approaches for these
> > situations:
> > 1) Provide a separate interface like kernel_write() for use when we
> > don't want permission checking and don't have it call the security
> > hook at all.  If you prefer kernel_write_nosec() that's fine but I
> > think that's somewhat implicit in the fact that it is a
> > kernel-initiated write, not a userspace write (which would
> > hopefully
> > go through vfs_write() or similar and end up calling the hook).
> > 2) Temporarily override creds to the init_cred or the result of
> > prepare_kernel_creds() before calling any credential-checking
> > functions and then revert creds afterward.
> >
> > The problem with #2 is that it still requires that the policy allow
> [...]

Oh wait, that is essentially option one after re-reading Stephens
comment again ...

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]