Re: Commit 13c164b1a186 - regression for LSMs/SELinux?

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 4:36 AM Ondrej Mosnacek <omosnace@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 3:55 AM Ian Kent <raven@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-09-22 at 09:33 +0200, Ondrej Mosnacek wrote:

> > > IMHO that sounds like an overkill in this scenario. I don't think it
> > > makes sense to do the LSM check here (or at least not against the
> > > current task's creds), because it is not the current task that wants
> > > to communicate with the daemon, it just wants to to access some
> > > directory on the system that just happens to be special to the
> > > kernel,
> > > which needs to do some communication on the side to service this
> > > request. So if we do want to do any LSM check here, there should at
> > > least be some "bool internal" flag passed to the LSM, signalizing
> > > that
> > > this is an internal read/write operation that wasn't directly
> > > initiated/requested by the current process. SELinux could then either
> > > use the kernel secid instead of the current task's secid or skip the
> > > check completely in such case.
> >
> > Perhaps, but see below.
> >

> > > I'd like Stephen to weigh in on this, but it looks he might be on
> > > vacation right now...

> > > With SELinux at least, what is allowed or denied is defined in the
> > > policy. And the policy usually defaults to everything denied and then
> > > you add rules to allow what needs (and makes sense) to be allowed.
> > > Since until kernel 5.8 random processes didn't need to write to pipes
> > > created by the automount daemon, it has never been explicitly allowed
> > > and so the automounting now fails. It is in no way obvious that all
> > > processes should have the permission to talk to the automount daemon
> > > just to traverse the filesystem...
> >
> > I think you might have misunderstood what lead to this, just a bit.
> >
> > Previously the __kern_write() function was used for this communication
> > and Christoph's patch changed that to use kern_write() instead.
> >
> > In theory that's a good idea because kern_write() adds some additional
> > sanity checks, one being a call to rw_verify_area() which is where the
> > security_file_permission() call fails.
> >
> > So previously any random process could avoid these checks by calling
> > __kern_write() so the change to kern_write() is, in theory, that's a
> > good thing and simply reverting that hunk in Christoph's patch
> > probably isn't the best thing to do.
>
> I understand that and I'm not proposing the revert as a long-term fix.
> For a long-term solution I propose using kernel_write() and extending
> it to allow the caller to suppress (just) the
> security_file_permission() call. Then each caller would have to decide
> whether the LSM check makes sense in that situation or not. It seems
> safer against future mistakes than leaving it up to the caller to call
> security_file_permission() explicitly (I predict that no new user
> would even realize that the call might be needed).
>

> > But any random process does need to be able to write to the automount
> > daemon pipe for trailing path components and the root dentry of autofs
> [...]

Up-thread I thought Linus indicated he didn't really want a flag to
disable pemission checking due to potential abuse (and I agree).
Historically we have taken one of two approaches for these situations:
1) Provide a separate interface like kernel_write() for use when we
don't want permission checking and don't have it call the security
hook at all.  If you prefer kernel_write_nosec() that's fine but I
think that's somewhat implicit in the fact that it is a
kernel-initiated write, not a userspace write (which would hopefully
go through vfs_write() or similar and end up calling the hook).
2) Temporarily override creds to the init_cred or the result of
prepare_kernel_creds() before calling any credential-checking
functions and then revert creds afterward.

The problem with #2 is that it still requires that the policy allow
kernel_t (or its equivalent) to be able to write to these pipes, which
wasn't previously necessary and thus might not be allowed in all
policies (e.g. Android?).  #1 avoids any need for policy for these
operations.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]