Re: The automounter hangs on attempts to mount non-existent directories unless the option vers=4.2 is specified?

Dear Patrick,

Am 17.06.20 um 15:34 schrieb Patrick Goetz:

We've been having strange performance problems for over a year on high powered workstations with fast (10Gb) networking.  Programs that run instantly on user's laptops would take 5-10 minutes to even launch on these dual Xeon workstations with 128GB of RAM. The OS is Ubuntu 18.04

Last week I finally tracked this down to a comedy of errors, the first involving autofs.  We only use NFS v.4.x, and thanks to a tip from Ian Kent, I had added:

   mount_nfs_default_protocol = 4

to /etc/autofs.conf.  However, using this setting in /etc/auto.home:

   * octopus.biosci.utexas.edu:/home/&

any attempt to access a non-existent directory in /home (e.g. /home/syslog) would result in the automounter hanging while various attempts to mount were executed.  Changing the auto.home line to

   * -tcp,vers=4.2 octopus.biosci.utexas.edu:/home/&

resolved this issue.  I can understand the tcp option, but what doesn't make sense to me is the necessity to also specify vers=4.2 If I remove vers=4.2 from the options list, the automounter starts hanging again when asked to mount a non-existent directory.

Maybe this is just an issue with mount.nfs?

Please try the latest versions first. We also had problems in the past, which already had been solved in newer release [1]..
This isn't relevant to autofs, but to satisfy the curious, the next obvious question is why on earth were people attempting to mount non-existent directories in /home, and the answer is (in part) some negligent Debian package management.  After sifting through strace output I noticed entries like this in /etc/passwd:

   syslog:x:102:106::/home/syslog:/usr/sbin/nologin

I guess they were thinking that since no one can log in as syslog, it doesn't matter what the home directory is set to; likely someone who doesn't use or perhaps even know about autofs.  On my Arch systems these entries would look like this:

   syslog:x:102:106::/:/usr/sbin/nologin

Did you submit a bug report?

The final piece of the puzzle is why on earth do misconfigured entries in /etc/passwd come in to play, and the answer is anaconda/miniconda.  A lot of computational biology tools are embedded in conda environments, and for some frankly inexplicable reason conda likes to troll through /etc/passwd searching for environments. This seems like an anachronism from the days when all real users were documented in /etc/passwd rather than via some LDAP, AD, NIS, or Kerberos directory server.

Yes, unfortunately these new “package managers” re-introduce problems, long solved by others before. In our environment, `/home/rdonnelly` up in our logs [2].

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/autofs/+bug/1818121
[2]: https://github.com/conda/conda-build/issues/3241
"Hardcoded path from RDonnelly's machine in when using x86_64-conda_cos6-linux-gnu-c++"

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystem Development]     [Linux Ext4]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]