Re: How to get autofs to use NFS v4?

On 08/01/2018 09:02 PM, Ian Kent wrote:

I don't think so, that config file should be part of the nfs-utils
package, that's been the case for some time now. Ubuntu might put
it somewhere other than /etc but I can't see the sense in that.

It looks like you are correct. Ubuntu provides 2 NFS packages, nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server. Greping through the nfs-common package contents I find a man page for nfsmount.conf:

cnsit@snakeskin:~$ dpkg -L nfs-common | grep \.conf
/lib/systemd/system/nfs-config.service
/etc/init/idmapd-mounting.conf
/etc/init/statd.conf
/etc/init/gssd-mounting.conf
/etc/init/idmapd.conf
/etc/init/statd-mounting.conf
/etc/init/gssd.conf
/etc/request-key.d/id_resolver.conf
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles/idmapd.conf
/usr/share/nfs-common/conffiles/nfs-common.default
/usr/share/man/man5/nfsmount.conf.5.gz

So, the functionality is presumably there, but they don't supply a default /etc/nfsmount.conf, similar to how there is no default /etc/sssd/sssd.conf.

The way the man page is written, this is a bit unclear, but it looks like this is a client side configuration option, and appears like it could be useful. Many open questions, though. For example, are the configuration options set in /etc/nfsmount.conf overriden by mount options in /etc/fstab? And how does this interact with systemd, say if someone is using a mount or automount unit file.