Re: How to get autofs to use NFS v4?

On Wed, 2018-08-01 at 17:05 -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> I've been doing some more work on this issue, and have to update my
> previous claim.  While it is true that autofs was mounting home
> directories using NFSv3, this is because I had misconfigured the
> rpc.nfsd environment variables on the NFS server.  Putting
>
>     RPCNFSDARGS="-N 2 -N 3 -U"
>
> in the /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server doesn't work on Ubuntu 16/18.04
> systems because of the way the nfs-config service file is set up.  The
> correct configuration option (mapped to /run/sysconfig/nfs-utils) is
>
>    RPCMOUNTDOPTS="--manage-gids -N 2 -N 3"
>
> With this restriction in place (disallow NFSv2 and NFSv3 exports),
> autofs running on Ubuntu 18.04 is correctly mounting home directories
> from an Ubuntu 18.04 NFS server.
>

> Unfortunately if I switch to an Ubuntu 16.04 server with exactly the
> same configuration, it doesn't seem to work.  I can mount directories by
> hand:

I can see below that the autofs availability probing is only checking
v3 (I think ... those numbers ... I can check if need be).

Anyway, there's a couple of things we should try to work out what's
going on.

But, apart from investigating further, setting -fstype=nfs4 in your
map entry should attempt to mount using NFSv4 and fail if it can't
do the mount.

Perhaps nfsmount.conf isn't present because Ubuntu elects to use
the defaults or they have named it something different.

The nfs-utils default should be NFSv4 with fall back to earlier NFS
protocol versions when "-t nfs" is used instead of "-t nfs4" for v4
only (aka. by using the fstype option).

Assuming that v4 is the default put (which should be set to match
the nfs-utils default):

mount_nfs_default_protocol = 4

into the "[ autofs ]" configuration section and see if that makes
the availability probe check v4 and mount ok (without using the
fstype option).

> ================================
> root@viper:~# df -h /mnt
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda2       228G  9.2G  207G   5% /
> root@viper:~# mount -t nfs4 snakeskin:/home/pgoetz /mnt
> root@viper:~# df -h /mnt
> Filesystem              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> snakeskin:/home/pgoetz   55G   52M   53G   1% /mnt
> ================================
>
> But automounter (version 5.1.2) gives me these error messages when I
> attempt to login remotely:

The option above should be available in 5.1.2 but there have been
a lot of changes since, we might need to go there too.

Btw, 5.1.3 should be avoided, there was an annoying regression
in that release.

snip ...

> I tried monitoring the NFS server logs, but didn't see anything there.
> Am at a complete loss as to why this isn't working on 16.04.

As expected, the availability probe thinks there are no servers
available because it isn't seeing a response for (I believe) v3
and it isn't probing v4.

It's been a while since I've had to think about this so if the
problem continues I'll need to spend time looking at the code
to be more helpful.

Ian