Re: Is there any way for automounted home directories to co-exist with local account homes in /home?

On 07/16/2018 11:01 PM, Ian Kent wrote:
I guess in doing this you are planning to change auto.home to something
like:

local_user1    localhost:/local/home/& (or just :/local/home/&)
> local_user2    localhost:/local/home/& (or just :/local/home/&)
*   nfs_server:/home/&

This works and is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you very much!

After testing this and on further reflection, from a system design perspective, this probably isn't the most robust solution. There is not really anything wrong (AFAIK) with having local accounts home directories live in /local/home, and one could run into not being able to log in even with a local account if autofs is stopped or crashed, since the /etc/passwd entry looks like this:

  cnsit:x:1000:1000:CNS Systems Group,,,:/home/cnsit:/bin/bash

and the home directory is actually /local/home/cnsit. I like having at least one administrative local account on every machine so that the machine can still be accessed when the directory service is down (or being transitioned, or whatever).

In this particular case at least one machine interacts with an electron microscope for data collection, hence the need for some local service accounts in addition to the user accounts which are managed through a directory service.

Thanks again.