Re: Is there any way for automounted home directories to co-exist with local account homes in /home?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 12:01:04 +0800
Ian Kent <raven@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 15:57 -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> > In reading through all the (sparse) documentation I can find, it
> > seems that what I'd like to do is impossible, but it would be good
> > to get confirmation.
> >
> > We have some systems which will mostly be accessed by users
> > authenticated against and AD directory and with home directories
> > automounted from an NFS server.  However these machines also have
> > some local accounts which are needed for technical reasons.
> >
> > For convenience sake, I'd like all the home directories to co-exist
> > under /home:
> >
> >     /home/local_user1
> >     /home/local_user2
> >     /home/ad_user1
> >     /home/ad_user2
> >
> > I thought I could do with with direct maps, but can't seem to get
> > it to work without explicating all the AD users, which would be
> > hard to
>
> That's right, direct mounts must be distinct mounts.
>
> > manage.  The usual paradigm of using indirect maps like this:
> >
> >     auto.master:   /home   /etc/auto.home
> >     auto.home:       *   nfs_server:/home/&
> >
> > masks everything that is in the local /home, including any local
> > home directories.
>
> That's also right, once you mount over the top of something the
> contents of the directory that is covered are not available until the
> covering mount is umounted.
>
> That's just the way Unix mounts work, can't change that.
>

> > Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do with autofs, or should
> > I just bite the bullet and move the local home directories
> > to /local/home?
>
> Basically, yes, that's all you can do.
>
> I guess in doing this you are planning to change auto.home to
> something like:
>
> local_user1    localhost:/local/home/& (or just :/local/home/&)
> *   nfs_server:/home/&
>
> which should do what you need, ie. still provide a single
> unified /home for all users.
>
> Ian
> --

There is a bigger problem here, if 'local_user1' and 'ad_user1' are
actually the same person i.e. 'local_user1' is fred and 'ad_user1' is
fred, then they cannot both exist with the same username. You cannot
have a user in /etc/passwd with the same username in AD.

Rowland