Re: autofs linux 3.8.13 and "Too many levels of symbolic links"

> On 30 Jan 2014, at 6:28 pm, Donald Buczek <buczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Leonardo and Ian.
>
> In contrast to what Leonardo described, in our case the problem doesn't go away after some time. If the daemon is restarted and able to unmount the automount root ( /scratch here) than everything looks fine after the restart (however, the visible problem might just be (lazy?) unmounted away ?).
>
> Sadly, I am not able to reproduce it at will. The problem occurs rarely: We have about 12 active (and 24 most-of-the-time idle) machines running this code since mid December and had about 8 of theses issues. Of these, three were on one workstation and two were on another one, so there is a dependency on the hardware or usage pattern which is not yet identified. We have very active machines which mount and unmount a lot more then these two and didn't have an issue.

And with any leads as to where to look I'm stuck at guessing where to look.
Understanding what leads to the symptom would be a big help.

> I know its an old kernel. Sure, latest and greatest first is the systematic way to go, but I thought, I'd ask for ideas first, because the kernel upgrade will take much time and work (legacy graphic cards, netfilter functionality...) and surely will bring new bugs and problems as well. It always did.

Yeah, I understand that.
The reason for an asksing if it can be reproduced on a current kernel is that it could already be fixed.

Don't think that is the case here though so continue to profile the problem.

I'm pretty sure I've looked at this before and have been left thinking, what needs to happen to make this happen can't happen!

> I hoped to get autofs running cleanly before that. There isn't so much change in "git log -p v3.8.13..master  fs/autofs4" anyway.

This probably isn't the autofs module, it's probably in the automount code in the VFS.

Specific automount support has been added to the VFS around 2.6.32 so this sort of problem could be in the NFS module (assuming your seeing this with autofs NFS auto mounts), the autofs module itself or somewhere in the VFS (most likely the path walking code). Since this automount support was added the path walking code been continuously changed, pretty much re-written, so there's a lot of ground to cover.

> The logs I currently have are loglevel 1 only and there is nothing unusual logged.  I can change the loglevel to 9 on the currently hung system but there are now messages when the directory is accessed.
>
> I forgot to dump the autofs_info and autofs_sb_info struct the last time. Here they are just for completeness: http://owww.molgen.mpg.de/~buczek/autofs-demo/typescript_2.l
>
> Oh yes, another info: We've seen this on various automount maps with various nfs-servers, so it doesn't depend on that.
> And we rebuild the maps and kill -HUP the daemon a lot.

I wonder, mmm.
We need more information.
Check things for inconsistencies when it happens.
Things like /proc/mounts for duplicate mounts etc.

I don't think I've ever got a full autofs debug log from anyone who's seen this.
TBH I don't think it will give any clues but not having seen it is just another variable I can't eliminate.