Re: autofs linux 3.8.13 and "Too many levels of symbolic links"

Thanks, Leonardo and Ian.

In contrast to what Leonardo described, in our case the problem doesn't go away after some time. If the daemon is restarted and able to unmount the automount root ( /scratch here) than everything looks fine after the restart (however, the visible problem might just be (lazy?) unmounted away ?).

Sadly, I am not able to reproduce it at will. The problem occurs rarely: We have about 12 active (and 24 most-of-the-time idle) machines running this code since mid December and had about 8 of theses issues. Of these, three were on one workstation and two were on another one, so there is a dependency on the hardware or usage pattern which is not yet identified. We have very active machines which mount and unmount a lot more then these two and didn't have an issue.

I know its an old kernel. Sure, latest and greatest first is the systematic way to go, but I thought, I'd ask for ideas first, because the kernel upgrade will take much time and work (legacy graphic cards, netfilter functionality...) and surely will bring new bugs and problems as well. It always did.

I hoped to get autofs running cleanly before that. There isn't so much change in "git log -p v3.8.13..master fs/autofs4" anyway.

The logs I currently have are loglevel 1 only and there is nothing unusual logged. I can change the loglevel to 9 on the currently hung system but there are now messages when the directory is accessed.

I forgot to dump the autofs_info and autofs_sb_info struct the last time. Here they are just for completeness: http://owww.molgen.mpg.de/~buczek/autofs-demo/typescript_2.l

Oh yes, another info: We've seen this on various automount maps with various nfs-servers, so it doesn't depend on that.
And we rebuild the maps and kill -HUP the daemon a lot.

I plan to go the long way to 3.13 now and let you know if I have any new information.

Thanks again

  Donald