Re: stat -L triggering mount (behavior change starting with 2.6.38-rc1)

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM, toto <guillaume@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Leonardo Chiquitto <leonardo.lists <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> After the update to 2.6.38, I noticed that AutoFS started to mount volumes
>> at times it normally wouldn't. More specifically, "ls -la" inside an AutoFS
>> mount point will trigger the mount of all available maps.
>>

> Hi,

Hi,

> When you are saying that "ls -la" should not trigger
>  the automounting of the volumes inside the directory,
> what would be then the good command line to
> trigger the mounting of volumes declared in auto.master ?

The problem that was discussed in this thread was about
accesses to a parent directory triggering mounts of volumes
in sub-directories. An example:

/nfs/volume1
/nfs/volume2

Here volume1 and volume2 are two automounted directories.
What was happening is that "ls -la /nfs" was triggering the
mounts of volume1 and volume2.

> I am using Mac OS X 10.8.3 and by default,
> the elements defined in automaster are mounted when
> accessed by an application (like the Finder,
>  which is if you don't know the file manager of OS X), but how
> then to trigger the silent mounting at startup
> with a shell script ?

You just need to access the volume. Using the example above,
any of these should work:

$ stat /nfs/volume1/    #  the slash at the end is important
$ cd /nfs/volume1
$ ls /nfs/volume1

> Are there parameters to pass to "mount"
> command to say "mount this folder