AutoFS always probing the proximity of single servers

Hello,

I noticed that recent versions of AutoFS are creating more load on NFS
servers and on the network. Further investigation revealed that since
commit 15fcfcd29b4 (autofs-5.0.6 - reinstate singleton mount probe),
AutoFS started to probe the proximity of NFS servers even when there's
only one server hosting the volume.

The call sequence is:
   prune_host_list() -> get_vers_and_cost() -> get_nfs_info() (twice)

In some circumstances, each call to get_nfs_info() will send more than
10 requests to the server. This gets out of control quickly if the user
triggers, lets say, 100 mounts simultaneously.

Is it possible to revert this change and fix the timeout issue in other
way? If not, I think it will be necessary to implement a positive cache
for reachable servers to reduce the amount of probing.

Thanks,
Leonardo