Re: autofs prevent timeout with activity?

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Brian J. Murrell
<brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12-10-11 10:32 AM, Leonardo Chiquitto wrote:
>>
>> I guess this means Thunar is not accessing any files in /home/shared
>> during the 300 seconds timeout.
>
> But it has to be.  Look at the variability of the gap between mount and
> unmount commands and the very short time between umount and mount
> commands.  That the latter is sooooo short means that Thunar has to be
> accessing very frequently or it is accessing it (only) after the umount
> for some reason.  I'm not even sure how it would know that it was
> unmounted without "polling" it and then we are back to it accessing it
> quite frequently.

That's easy: it can monitor the list of mounted file systems (/etc/mtab,
/proc/mounts) and react to changes in these files.

>> What happens if you increase the
>> timeout to 450 or 600 seconds?
>
> I have not tried that yet as I fully expect to see the same results.  I
> can try of course.

I expect the same results to, but what if Thunar checks the mounted
file system every 5 minutes too? That means it would try to access
the file system roughly after the unmount.

>> Another thing I'd do is to run strace
>> against Thunar to discover whether it's not reacting exactly to the
>> unmount and doing something in that mount point that triggers the
>> mount again.
>
> Yeah, I have tried that already but it's a constantly busy process.
> Many, many syscalls per second, every second, even when you filter out
> the very noisiest of them.

You can filter by path: strace -y -P /home/shared

Leonardo