Re: autofs prevent timeout with activity?

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Brian J. Murrell
<brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12-10-11 09:10 AM, Leonardo Chiquitto wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Coincidentally I've been looking at the same "problem" in the last days.
>> The expiration behavior depends on the kernel version. Kernels older
>> than 2.6.39 update the "last used" value only when the file system is
>> busy during the regular "expiration check" that happens every timeout/4
>> seconds. 2.6.39 and newer update the "last used" value every time a
>> file in the mount point is accessed (even a stat() counts as accessed
>> here).
>
> OK
>
>> Which kernel version are you running?
>
> 3.2.0-29-generic-pae which according to the changelog looks like it's
> 3.2.24.

I guess this means Thunar is not accessing any files in /home/shared
during the 300 seconds timeout. What happens if you increase the
timeout to 450 or 600 seconds? Another thing I'd do is to run strace
against Thunar to discover whether it's not reacting exactly to the
unmount and doing something in that mount point that triggers the
mount again.

Btw, are you sure it's Thunar? I'm using it here and do not observe
this behavior. If you increase AutoFS log level to "debug", you can see
the pid of the process that triggered the mount in the log. Example:

 handle_packet_missing_indirect: token 850, name music, request pid 964 <=

Thanks,
Leonardo