Re: ath6kl DT support and multiple instances.

Hi Srinivas,

Srinivas Kandagatla <srinivas.kandagatla@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I noticed that ath6kl partially supports Device trees, via
> check_device_tree() function in init.c.

That's really old code. Sam Leffler wrote that back in 2011 and IIRC
nobody has touched it since.

> I have a use case for adding reset line and pinctrl properties to this
> dt bindings, but soon realized that this function would not work for
> multiple instances of the driver, as there is no direct
> association/binding of dt node and driver instance.
>
> Just wondering if this is a know limitation and there will be no
> possible multiple instances of this driver?
>
> is check_device_tree function obsolete?

I'm not familiar with the device tree at all so I can't really comment
much, except that I'm happy to take patches :)

> should I care about multiple instances?

Yes, I think you should.

> Other than adding static code in the board file, are there any other
> options to pass platform data like reset gpio lines and pinctrl
> properties to the driver?

Few years back we talked about adding function pointers to the board
files for that, but there never were any patches.

--
Kalle Valo