Re: checksum error

I took a look at this, and I can't see how this error would ever NOT happen ( which is really strange since I used to have a via chipset that worked fine ). via.c computes a sum of the first 50 bytes ( comment says this, but it actually starts at offset 50 and goes back to zero, so it's really 51 bytes ), then compares it with the sum stored in the metadata, which is at byte 50. There is no value you could possibly have for the checksum byte that when added to the sum of the preceding bytes, would give you that same checksum, unless the sum of the first 50 bytes happened to be zero, any value at all would be valid for the checksum byte.