Re: R: [dm-devel] - info about dm

Vega Forneris wrote:
1) I need to change an HD which has problems...here the steps I guess
from what I read in these days:
- halt the machine (ok, ok it's obvious ;-P )
- change the faulty HD
- boot
- when BIOS starts the RAID manager, enter and rebuild the RAID (1:
mirror)
- after the rebuilding, everything should be ok.

...is it correct?

Yes... at least if your bios actually starts the rebuild process instead of just marking the array as needing rebuilt and relying on the OS to do it.

2) I have a machine with 2 HD SATA, on the first we have the OS
installed (and working!), the second is blank (just added), I want to
create a RAID 1 (mirror) of the whole disk:
- ...
I don't want to guess ;-P

The same way you did it the first time: in the bios. Doing so will destroy the existing data on the drive though, so you will want to backup first.