Problem Building an New server with Debian and an HPT370 Rocket Raid 100 Card

Hello everyone

I have to build an new email server for my corp here.
I grabbed an old IBM Netfinity 3000 server here and started
Trying to install Debian Woody on it.
Then My boss called to ask for improved security and asked for
Raid 1 ... Ok then i checked the How to and readmes and found
That the bf24 flavor of debian had an support for HPT370.
So i baught one and 2x40gig disks and get rid of the scsi stuff.

Then my trouble began... Apparently the HPT support from 2.4.18-bf24
Is just for Raid 0 not Raid 1 .... Raid 0 isn't exactly the security
i'm looking for ;)

On another How to i spotted the way to compile new kernels and include them
On an rescue disk
http://www.pocock.com.au/linux-doc/debian-raid-hw.html
For example ....

So i grabbed 2.4.24 and 2.6.1 kernel sources from www.kernel.org and tried
To compile...
Seems to work, making bzImage to include on my Rescue disk BUT (You had to
meet
A BUT somewhere isn't it ? ;)

1 Nowhere during the Make menuconfig i spotted an HPT370 related option ?
2 The rescue disks seems to boot fine but when it asked for the root disk :
The 2.6.1 one start to load the Root disk then black screen ??
The 2.4.24 one makes an Kernel panic wihout even starting to use the root
disk.

The instalation from bf24 had an option during it so i can choose the HPT370
"option" durinf the setup.
Are there the same kind of option during the kernel compiling ??

I also have the source for open Linux from Highpoint web site but don't
really
know what to do with it ,) (No readme thx Hightpoint).

Some help would be apreciated ,)
I disabled everything in bios (acpi,apm,USB etc etc) acording to some answer
i got
>From starting to go throught the list.

Thx for your time !

---------