intel westville onboard promise nightmare

Hi,

I have a number of Intel SE7500WV2 boards which have an onboard promise fastrak tx2000 controller. Using the intel-supplied promise driver and 2 x western digital 180Gb drives one on each channel as 'JBOD' (not raided)

The system sees the drives as sda and sdb and under load I get the apparently common error:

FastTrak : Drive interrupt timeout.(1), status = d0
FastTrak : RESET Channel1 * DEV1(OK), status = 0x50

Sometimes we get (FAIL) and the system hangs.

This has been going on since mid-feb and I still haven't got anywhere. All the systems (15 of them) give the same problem to varying degrees. I have tried everything I can think of.Here are a few: (surprisingly, Intel haven't been very helpful)

Tried other manufac. disks, IBM, Maxtor. (not many manufacturers make drives =>180Gb which is the size we need)
(seagate 80Gb barracudas work ok)
Tried upgrading intel bios.
Tried installing later rev promise driver from the promise web-site using the append line idex=0 etc.
Tried power supply and replaced ide cables with higher quality ones.

However, I have found that RedHat 9.0 works fine. This is because it uses a pdc202xx_new driver written by Frank Tiernan at promise. I tried mailing him but no reply as yet. I need to run RH7.3 for compatability reasons so I would like to use this driver in 7.3 instead of 9.

I have tried compiling this driver under 7.3 but I am not a kernel/module expert and so far my efforts have not proved successful.
Has anyone ported this module to 7.3 or can anyone offer a bit of guidance so I can compile it myself?

Thanks,

Regards

Paul

-- Paul Ingram Technical Support

Workstations U.K. Ltd. Amersham, England
Tel.  01494 724 498
Fax. 01494 433 375