automated recovery for software ata raid1 possible?

hi all,

after getting my raid1 to work using ata software raid, i tried booting with
one disk alone and again with both. some attempts for automatic recovery
were made, but all failed due to non-existence of spare-disks.

after hotadding the "idle" disk again, everything worked as expected.

my question now is: is there any way to automate that process?
i have some compaq raid-system at work and i can even clone the entire
system onto an unformatted drive simply by putting it into the array. this
is extremely usefull! i would be very glad to figure a way to do the same
with sofware raid, since i could leave systems with clients this way and if
any disk should fail, all he would have to do is putting a new one into the
slot.

my regards,
/jc