AW: PDC20276 & Installing Redhat 9

i just went through the whole procedure of getting rh9 to work with right
that chipset.

there is the "linux ata raid howto" wich explains setting up redhat with a
very similar (or same?) promise controller:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ATA-RAID-HOWTO/

following that document, you will need newer drivers for the fasttrack, wich
can be found here: http://members.rogers.com/sith.warrior/

after beeing new to raid and after some investigations, i learned, that this
cheesy controller does nothing but software-raid. in other words, it is more
or less an ide-controller with a simple function to watch over the state of
the disks, nothing more. well, linux can do that job alone with its native
software-raid..

also i had the installation working with the above linked driver and when
installing it again (final install, i thought..) i got weird timeeouts and
disk-related kernel-messages, so i decided to use the internal raid, wich
worked like a charm out of the box..

in my opinion you should really try and put your windows-date alsewhere for
a while and get a reliable system together using linux softraid.

if you decide not to and go with the howto above, here might be some usefull
hints:
after the installation is done edit /etc/fstab and exchange the "labels"
with the real device-names. i ran into booting-trouble here, because redhat
found "doubled labels" (hdeX, hdgX, and sdX, i guess).
also edit /etc/lilo.conf and do the same here whenre it sais "root=label=/"
or something.
elsewhere i was told to stick with grub and doing so, i found the
boot-sector installed on one disc only. anfter changing to lilo i could
write it onto the actual raid-device, wich i can boot from, thx to the
promise-controller. this i very nice, if one disk should fail.. i guess
there are ways to boot grub like that as well, but i didn't find the time to
figure.

hope i could help a bit and i wasn't too wrong in some explanations..

/jc