Re: Understanding highpoint 370 / ataraid (questions looking for answers)

Ian Batterbee wrote:

> - Am I supposed to use md to do the array ?

Yes, because in case of hardware failure this is the option which leaves
you with a bootable system in case of hardware failure - AFAIK.

> - Is there some way I can still use ataraid ? - If I do use ataraid,
> should I break the mirror in the BIOS, or should I leave it enabled ?

You do not want that because the driver was not fault tolerant at all
last time I looked. Iff (if and only if) you decide to use ataraid
nevertheless, leave the mirror settings in the BIOS enabled.

> - How do I determine the state of the mirror (depends on how I created
> the mirror)

For md: see the man page of md
For ataraid: kneel down before your creator and pray.

> For what it's worth, I did a quick trawl of the achives for this list
> and didn't see any obvious document that answered my questions, but I
> apologise if this stuff has been asked a million times already.

Check the linux-kernel and linux-raid archives, they surely contain
additional information you could use.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--