Re: HPT 374 Problem

I had a similar problem with my HPT370A. I was trying to set up 1
RAID0 array of 4 drives (4x80GB). I was successful at getting 2 arrays
of 2x80 to work. However, whenever I would create 1 4-disk
array in the bios, create and format the partition, I would get
ERRORS (ie. data written to the array was lost/scrambled upon
read). I tried everything: ataraid, HPT's closed source driver,
upgrading the board's HPT BIOS, assigning different IRQs to
different IDE channels. Nothing worked, I was still getting errors.
Someone from the mailing list suggested that there might be
a 256GB cap for the board. I still do not know if there is such cap,
as after contacting HPT and explaining my problem in details,
I did not get any more answers.

Anyway, I went with the Linux MD software RAID and to tell
you the truth, I should have done it in the beginning. Best solution,
by far. Got 1 array of 4x80GB. Speed is excellent as I am getting
95-100MB/sec (hdparm -t /dev/md1) throughput with about
25-35% CPU load (Athlon 1.2Ghz). Very stable as well,
running for 90 days now on Redhat 7.3 2.4.18 kernel.

Unless you need your array to be accessible under Windows,
I would go with Linux MD. RAID5 is implemented, although I
never tested it.

>From my experience, the drivers provided from HPT are slow
and buggy, ataraid drivers not very reliable (at least as of
2.4.18). Linux MD: fast, clean and stable.

Hope this helps.

MK