Kernel panic 72:01 more questions

Title: Wiadomość
Hi !
A few days ago I've posted a question about kernel panic message "unable to mount root FS on  72:01" in RH 7.3 an Promise Fastrak 100 (20267)
As I am a beginner in Linux OS maybe I do any so called "stupid mistake" and forget about setting something ?
I've carefully followed Murty's howto, step by step and his tips I've found on list archive. He suggests that the above message means
that append line is required. I've followed his instruction about finding the correct IRQ and IO Addres parameters (less /proc/pci)
and I've set it in append line that way. After doing so the system seems to start the right way, it finds the disks (IBMs) and everything on the screen
starts to happen very slowly - the Fastrak driver built into the kernel starts (no matter if it's kernel 2.4.19 or 2.4.20) and after that
there are several mixed messages "hda: lost interrupt" and "hdc: lost interrupt" and thats all.
I've found on the manufacturer's support site - Intel  (drivers and etc) tips for RH 7.2 concerning Promise Fastrak 100 integrated onto the Intel's
SCB2 ATA motherboard. There is an append line but with absolutely different values than dicovered with with "less /proc/pci).
When I set the append line in lilo.conf the way that Intel recommends then very quickly error message occurs about mounting root on FS 72:01.
There is one more interesting thing I've noticed (I guess in kernel 2.4.20) - when in the append line I only declare parameters (found in /proc/pci)
for ide0 and ide1 and no ide2=0 ide3=0 etc. the system on boot process reports found ide2 with IRQ and IOAddr parameters provided by Intel.
So .. What's going on ?
To summarize :
I do make an entry in fstab
/dev/ataraid/d0p1        /        ext3     default 1 1
I've got an entry in lilo.conf  root=/dev/ataraid/d0p1 and no image declaration
I set all built into kernel options for Promise controller when building new kernel (following Murty's Howto).
Where is a trick ?

Question: should I or not while doing make menuconfig set an entry in section File systems for ext3 and if so to set up as built in or module ?
I have no SCSI devices - can (or should) I switch off SCSI support in a new kernel build while using ataraid ?

And what else should I pay special attention to and eventually had set ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answer .

Kamil