Re: info on the Promise FastTrack 100 TX2

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 03:44:48PM -0600, edwardam@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 06:57:07PM +1100, Steve & Dee McInerney wrote:
> >> I have a FT 100 tx2, and am happy to answer what I can.
> >> Suggest you ask the Q's of the list anyway.
> >
> > I've found step-by-step instructions for installing RHL7.3 onto a system
> > with all the disks on this controller, and then on to build the kernel
> > with the linux native ataraid controller.  That's all cool.
> >
> > What I'm wondering is:
> > 1. Is this truly a hardware RAID controller?  I've seen references to it
> > being a quasi-hardware RAID solution...
>
> AFAIK, and I could be wrong. It's a software raid controller. The Promise
> drivers that pretend to be scsi devices (windows and linux) contain all
> the software tat does the raid.

And it seems there are linux-native drivers, that's what ataraid is all about
AFAIK, that will support it, but apparently they also do the RAID in the
driver (software).

Spawns 2 more questions:
1. What is the advantage of having the FastTrack controller?  Can't Linux do
	SW RIAD with the standard ATA controllers on most motherboards?

2. Are there *any* ATA RAID controllers that really are HW RAID?

> > 2. With the hot-swap chassis, can the linux ataraid controller really do
> > the hot-swapping and auto-rebuilding of drives?  This is currently how
> > my customer does backups (yes, I am pushing them to get a tape drive)
> > and if we cannot do hot-swaps then we'll have to figure something out...
>
> Dunno about the hot swap. From what I've raid, I'd say no ... But then
> again I could be wrong. ... But...

Odd that no one knows this answer.  I thought for sure there would be someone
who would know if hot-swap works or not.  If it won't hot-swap, or at least
know when a new disk was cold-swapped, how does the system know which disk to
rebuild when one fails and a new one is put into the system?

> RAID != backup. I can't stress that enough. Backup is useful for many
> other things other than hard drive failure. For instance if your raid
> controller/software did malfuncation, it could corrupt all the data before
> anyone has a change to intervene (sp). Also what about archiving (I
> encourage customers with tape backup to rotate at least one tape out of
> their backup rotation each month and archive it). And that's not even
> getting into disaster recovery....

I know and I agree.  I'm going to forward this to the client and say it
again...

Thanks!
-Michael

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
	They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary