Re: Intel SE7500WV2 w/Fastrak TX2000 Lite RAID

Edward Muller wrote:

I have an Intel SE7500WV2 Motherboard in an Intel SR1300 chasis and am
looking to put this box into production with a mirrored hard drive pair
(RAID 1).

For various reasons I can only use RedHat 7.2 (running a management
application that requires 7.2).

I would however like to use a more recent kernel, either RedHat's latest
kernel update for 7.2 or 2.4.20(|-ac2).

I currently have 2.4.20-ac2 running with the ataraid driver and things
seem to be working fine, but the box isn't in production yet.

I'm looking for some information/opinions on what's the safest was to
run this server in production with the RAID1 setup?

-Use software raid (md) and the ide devices?

This is what I'd use. This gives you an easy upgrade path for 8.x. In addition it's faster. The latest redhat kernels seem to work fine for this.

-Use the Fasttrak software raid (ataraid)?

It will work, but you'll need to jump thru a lot of hoops to upgrade down the road.

-Use the original RH 7.2 kernel (2.4.7 IIRC) w/the Promise provided
drivers?

In addition to the various vm, and security issues. That kernel doesn't properly support a dual xeon system.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.