read_intr / DriveStatusError errors with Promise FT 100

Hello,

I am following Murty's helpful HOW-TO to install a SMP system over a
FastTrak 100 Lite on-board RAID (MSI mobo). Rather than a mirror, though, I
am trying a stripe set with 2 drives (one on each channel, each a master).
These are the only drives on the system other than a CD-ROM on the second
regular IDE channel.

Everything goes well to start:
7.3 base installation id fine and I can boot with the FastTrak module and
ramdisk.
Build of a 2.4.19 kernel is fine, I based mine on the config provided by
Murty.
New .19 kernel is self contained using the ataraid and Promise support, no
need for ramdisk or Promise module. It boots and seems to function ok but a
slew of drive errors occur on boot..

hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide0: reset: success
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 2088444
<<
etc. etc. etc.

Using Murty's formula and after looking at the /proc/pci, I had to config my
lilo as follows:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19
	label=my19
	read-only
	root=/dev/ataraid/d0p2
	append="ide0=0xa400,0xa802,10 ide1=0xac00,0xb002,10"
<<

I have not yet updated my lilo version as Murty prescribes. I want to first
make sure I am not doing something wrong or heading into trouble. When I
boot with my old .18-3 kernel with the FastTrak module, I get no errors.
These are 2 new 60GB IBM drives and even though the error messages above
often indicate impending doom (like smoke rising over Mordor), I think they
are fine (despite the I/O error report). There are no BadCRC errors or other
similar kernel messages, just resets. hdparm -i and -g reports information
that looks ok. I can't read the ide/hdX config messages on the screen during
initial boot because it is so quick and the message and boot logs don't pick
up until the interactive section starts, unlike a normal boot with the
FastTrak module which captures all of it. Dumb question: how can I capture
that info for my .19 ataraid boot? Do I need to migrate to the new lilo and
set the boot to /dev/ataraid/d0 (now still /dev/sda which in theory no
longer exists)?

Thanks for any help. Happy New Year.
-esc